Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Kaitlin to Meadow - 12

Meadow's letter to Kaitlin

Hi Meadow!

I smiled when I saw your email in my inbox. And when I read it, oh my, the memories came rushing back! To think where we both were and where we are now.

You had such wonderful news to share. And I have a fair amount as well!

You are going to adopt another child! Congratulations. At least now you have a support system - see I'm learning - to help you and you are no longer trying to do it alone. You were my support system and helped me through some of the worst times. Thank you.

When I think about Jena and what a strong caring woman she will one day be, I know it's all because you are her mother. You instilled that in her. You should be proud.

I, on the other hand, certainly won't be winning any mother of the year award, but now that my life is finally stable, things are so much better.

Yes, the divorce is final. Congratulations was perfect because Leroy and I did get married! We had a private ceremony at our home with just Brooke, Reese, Ben and Dakota.

Our new home is beautiful. It sits right on the river. Ben loves that because he can fish right outside the house.

Getting divorced was a weird feeling to say the least. It was both liberating and incredibly sad. Newt felt it too. It was like acknowledging a huge failure. Then putting it in the past and moving on with the transfer of ownership of Leroy's bar.


Newt, Leroy, Janet and I met at the attorney’s office and signed everything.

After we were done, Newt and I stood alone, away from Janet and Leroy to have a minute to talk. He tried to apologize. We held each other and cried about what should have been. It was so weird, but it somehow brought us closure so we could move on.

We have joint custody for Ben and I retained custody of Maddy. She is doing really well with Newt now. He is trying so hard. Having Janet there helps. Ben, well he has already said he wants to live with his father full time. I figure that will eventually happen. Maybe that's what he needs. He and Leroy just don't click. The more Leroy tries, the more Ben pushes back. But he does seem some happier now.

Reese and Brooke actually got married before Leroy and I did. It was a beautiful ceremony. Brooke looked like a princess and Reese was so handsome. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it.

They are living in Leroy's old house. He completely updated it so there would be room for all four of them. It's so nice.

Leroy and Newt are actually getting along quite nicely. Thank goodness. I was worried when Newt said he wanted to hire Leroy to remodel the bar. But maybe that was a good thing. Leroy got to see what I already knew, that Newt has really changed. Of course Newt is a man's man so most guys get along with him. I hope it helps stop Leroy from harboring bitter feelings towards him. I mean, we all have to coexist for the kids and if we are at least friendly it will help.

So it's me, my husband - I still love saying that - Ben, Dakota, Maddy and Hailey. Our four bedroom house almost feels empty! But the kids love it. Even Ben. He has his own space now which he desperately needed. When he's not hanging out in his room he can be found fishing in the back yard.

My life is finally in a place that feels really good. Shea and I are friends now. And she is dating Reid! They reunited at Reese’s wedding and have been inseparable ever since. Suffice it to say, I am no longer seeing her professionally. In fact, I'm not seeing anyone. It's a good feeling.

Meadow, we were like two pieces of a whole and we saw in each other what we were missing in ourselves. We are still different, but wiser and better for knowing each other. Tell Norman not to be too hard on Newt. Newt thinks he hung the moon. I hope one day we can meet. Until then,

Your friend always,

Kaitlin Chapman

P.S. I feel like a teenager writing out my new name but I couldn't resist. I am just so happy to have Leroy in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment