Saturday, March 11, 2017

Leroy's Reply to Nora - 2

Leroy's reply to Nora's Letter:


Hi Nora!

It is good to hear from you. So I guess we are officially pen pals. I am so glad you didn't think I was a stalker and I most assuredly don't think you are insane! I have been judged my entire life, some of it I deserved. But I think I can relate. So it's decided.  Neither of us will judge the other. I want you to feel comfortable.

I think in some ways I have been where you are now, sort of trying to find yourself. At least that is what your move feels like to me. You seem like a deep thinker and I am duly impressed that you are a published writer.

I have been alone my entire life. At least up until the day my daughter was born. I mean, there have been people in and out of my life, but no one that I really cared about or that gave two cents about me. I spent half of that time working hard and trying to make a life for myself. I think it just might pay off.

You asked about my daughter. When I held my daughter for the first time, I fell in love instantly. It was overwhelming and amazing. The love a parent has for their child is unconditional. Until you experience it, it really is hard to describe. But now that I am a parent, I can say with conviction that when your parents suggested your move, they had your best interests at heart - not theirs. It has to be difficult for a parent to see their child unhappy and be powerless to help. So, that was their way of helping you. And so far it seems as if it is helping - you did say your writing has improved.

And buying a bookstore! You are so much like me. Not the bookstore per se, but wanting to be self-employed. I bought my bar so I didn't have to answer to anyone and could be my own boss. Sadly I dropped out of high school. But I think I have more than made up for that mistake.

I just started my apprenticeship with a local architect so don't have any sketches worthy of sharing at this time.  But I know what my first project will be. A home for my family which I hope includes not only my daughter, but her mother and half-brothers and half-sister.

As I said before my daughter currently lives with her mother, Kate. Kate is the most amazing woman. And she loves me. For the first time I have someone in my life that really matters to me. And let me say, it changes everything. In a good way. I have a reason to get out of bed each day.

I have to comment on your home. While my place is peaceful, it's really only that way early in the mornings and late in the evenings.  And I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it's mine. I am proud of it. So thanks. Right now it's raining so its kind of dreary. Your “canvas” on the other hand is breathtaking. As for your house, I'm sure it makes your skin crawl knowing someone died there. Hopefully that feeling will pass as you begin to put your stamp on the house and it becomes truly yours.

So, I am curious. Jax is your roommate? You say you like him, he's boring, you are disgusted by him and he gets angry at you easily? I am so confused! He seems sort of controlling. Not someone I think you would want around. How did you meet him anyway?

I gotta run. Someone's at my door.

Your new friend

Leroy

1 comment: